TOP > About KYODO > History


1936 Domei News Agency, predecessor of Kyodo News, comes into being as the official news service of the Japanese government by taking over the news services department of Japan Telegraphic Communication Co., the precursor of Dentsu Inc. history03.jpg
1945 Upon the dissolution of the state-owned Domei News Agency following the end of World War II, Kyodo News Agency is inaugurated as a nonprofit organization, with its headquarters based in Hibiya, Tokyo's Chiyoda Ward.
1951 Kyodo starts offering news stories to commercial broadcasting stations.
1964 Launch of Fax news service to vessels. history02.jpg
1965 Launch of English-language service -- Kyodo World Services.
1966 Completion of its new head office building in Toranomon, Minato Ward.
1986 Launch of video service by the Radio-TV Department.
1996 Kyodo News becomes the new company name. history01.jpg
2003 Completion of its new head office building -- Shiodome Media Tower -- in Minato Ward.
2005 Launch of Chinese-language service.
2007 Completion of its new training center in Chuo Ward.


Page top